At the end of the Second World War, a Historical Section was set up, under the Ministry of Defence, to write a detailed history of War, with particular reference to the operations conducted by the Armed Forces of undivided India. After the partition of the country in 1947, this Section continued as a joint organization of India and Pakistan and was designated as the Combined Inter Services Historical Section (India & Pakistan). The CIS Historical Section compiled 25 volumes until it was wound up in 1963.
Meanwhile, a separate section called Historical Section (India) was set up in 1953 for compiling the history of post- partition military operations of the Indian Armed Forces. This Section was also meant to supply information on military history and allied subjects to the Ministry and the three Services Headquarters. Subsequently, a Heraldic Cell was created within the Section to advise the Ministry and the Armed Forces on ceremonial matters.
Since its inception in 1953, the Historical Section has brought out fifteen publications. In view of the growing responsibility of the Section, it was redesignated as the History Division on April 1, 1992. The History Division also serves as a record, research and reference office of the Ministry of Defence and three Services Headquarters.
Officers of the Indian Armed Forces and research scholars often visit the Division to consult records of military importance. The Division also assists various units of Armed Forces in compiling their histories.
Author: Bisheshwar Prasad (General Editor)
Features: Black and White Maps, HB, PP