We are status quoests, reactive, slave of inaction and shy of taking initiative.
After the ceasefire in 1947-48 Indo-Pak war, which became effective from 01 Jan 1949, border posts were established and initially occupied by CRPF and State Police Force. Later there were replaced by the armies on both sides. On Indian side, posts on important junctions etc. were occupied by CRPF for dealing with the miscreants. In Mendhar sector of Poonch, J&K one such post was occupied in north of village CHOHI 1152, on the track junction at the confluence of three ridges. It was covering the most likely approach and was about 1.5km deep into our area, across the ceasefire line. It was unfortunately abandoned in 1956. Nobody, for all those years thought of occupying it, until when Pakis came, occupied and developed a post at the same very place in Sep-Oct 1965. Pakis soon started shelling the area around. It was not acceptable in any case.
An attack was launched by 2 GARH RIF, which failed and the unit suffered, killed 2 officers and 18 others ranks. Finally a Brigade attack was launched, and area cleared but, again cost us 110 killed and large number wounded. Who is to blame?
It was located in a gap between two battalions and was not regularly patrolled by either. Brigade commander and staff had never familiarised with the area and were thus ignorant about it.
Author: Lt Col (Dr) Sube Singh Ahlawat